Admin

ذكر
عدد الرسائل : 85
العمر : 49
الموقع : http://naji1969.montadarabi.com
العمل/الترفيه : dentist
تاريخ التسجيل : 23/02/2008

مُساهمةموضوع: Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder   الإثنين فبراير 25, 2008 4:35 am

Obsessive-compulsive disorder often plagues a person with persistent, unwelcome thoughts or images, or by the urgent need to engage in certain rituals. Depression or other anxiety disorders may accompany the condition, and some people also have eating disorders. While the exact causes are still unknown, obsessive-compulsive disorder can often be successfully treated through medications and behavioral therapy.

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: An Introduction
"I couldn't do anything without rituals. They invaded every aspect of my life. Counting really bogged me down. I would wash my hair three times as opposed to once because three was a good-luck number and one wasn't. It took me longer to read because I'd count the lines in a paragraph. When I set my alarm at night, I had to set it to a number that wouldn't add up to a 'bad' number.

"Getting dressed in the morning was tough, because I had a routine, and if I didn't follow it, I'd get anxious and would have to get dressed again. I always worried that if I didn't do something, my parents were going to die. I'd have these terrible thoughts of harming my parents. That was completely irrational, but the thoughts triggered more anxiety and more senseless behavior. Because of the time I spent on rituals, I was unable to do a lot of things that were important to me.

"I knew the rituals didn't make sense, and I was deeply ashamed of them, but I couldn't seem to overcome them until I had therapy."

Causes of Obessive-Compulsive Disorder
The cause or causes of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) are still not fully understood. There is, however, some evidence that abnormal functioning of the brain's circuitry may be one of the potential causes of the condition.

Symptoms of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
People with obsessive-compulsive disorder may be plagued by persistent, unwelcome thoughts or images, or by the urgent need to engage in certain rituals. They may be obsessed with germs or dirt, and wash their hands over and over. They may be filled with doubt and feel the need to check things repeatedly.

Treatment Methods for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Obsessive-compulsive disorder treatments combine medications and behavioral therapy (a specific type of psychotherapy). Several medications have proven effective in helping people with obsessive-compulsive disorder, including:

• Anafranil® (clomipramine)
• Prozac® (fluoxetine)
• Luvox® (fluvoxamine)
• Zoloft® (sertraline)
• Paxil® (paroxetine).

If one drug is not effective, others should be tried. A number of other medications are currently being studied.

A type of behavioral therapy known as "exposure and response prevention" is useful for treating obsessive-compulsive disorder. In this approach, a person is deliberately and voluntarily exposed to whatever triggers the obsessive thoughts, and then is taught techniques to avoid performing the compulsive rituals and to deal with the anxiety.

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Other Medical Conditions
Depression or other anxiety disorders may accompany obsessive-compulsive disorder, and some people with the condition also have eating disorders. In addition, people with obsessive-compulsive disorder may avoid situations in which they might have to confront their obsessions, or they may try unsuccessfully to use alcohol or drugs to calm themselves. If obsessive-compulsive disorder grows severe enough, it can keep someone from holding down a job or from carrying out normal responsibilities at home.

Statistics on Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Obsessive-compulsive disorder afflicts about 3.3 million adult Americans. It strikes men and women in approximately equal numbers and usually first appears in childhood, adolescence, or early adulthood.

One-third of adults with OCD report having experienced their first symptoms as children. The course of the disease is variable -- symptoms may come and go, they may ease over time, or they can grow progressively worse. Research findings suggest that obsessive-compulsive disorder might run in families.
الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة اذهب الى الأسفل
معاينة صفحة البيانات الشخصي للعضو http://naji1969.montadarabi.com

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة 
صفحة 1 من اصل 1
 مواضيع مماثلة
-
» الإضطراب الثنائي القطب Bipolar Disorder

صلاحيات هذا المنتدى:لاتستطيع الرد على المواضيع في هذا المنتدى
DR.HYTHAM KADOUR :: الطب و الصحة :: منشورات و ردود خاصة-
انتقل الى: